Friday, September 3, 2010

Was it a sheer coincidence?

This was a story I wrote an year back and it won one of the short story competition (There was a restriction of ~1000 words for it and hence the pace is a bit alarming. It might have a few grammatical mistakes as well. If you find few, please ignore). I hope it will be an interesting read

Was it a sheer Coincidence?

“It was a dark, silent night with hefty clouds and lightning giving signs of heavy storm. I was serving a few customers in the ‘Red Hot Blood’ Bar as I saw four people meet at one of the tables. They didn’t seem to be friends at the first glance because they didn’t seem to have the warmth and intimacy that can is common among friends. However there was something peculiar about them that made me observe them even though I was busy serving.
One of them seemed to be an extrovert and initiated the conversation. He said, “Hi, I am a retired military lieutenant and worked in the border for 20years.” When there was not much reaction from others, he reiterated saying, “Why don’t we introduce each other?”
The guy in the red shirt snapped at him saying, “I don’t think we are going to become friends for life. Hence, I suggest we better continue with an unconventional introduction rather than a formal one. What do you say?”
Another guy who seemed to be dull and emaciated asked, “What do you mean unconventional?”
The last guy, who was muscular, said looking at the weather outside, “Let’s start with a mention of the dodgiest nights we ever had so far in our lives as the climate today guarantees one.”
Everyone seemed to agree to this thought as the lieutenant started saying, “As I was returning from a tough day at office, I saw someone bloodshed on the road asking to stop my jeep. I was in a hurry as my wife wasn’t feeling well. Looking at him, I had a doubt if he were a militant. I didn’t want to risk wasting time as I was in a rush”.
At this, the red shirt guy looked astounded tone and asked intriguingly, “Was it at the valley gate? If it was, I treated him as I was the next one to come across him. Being a doctor by profession, I felt it was my responsibility. But your guess is correct, he was a militant and that was announced in that day’s morning papers. When I saw that day’s paper by chance while I was treating him, I called the police secretly and they caught him red-handed.”
At this the hefty guy cracked in between, “What a strange coincidence! I was the one in duty at the police station that night and I arrested him. He was sentenced death.”
All this talk seemed too good to be true for me as I thought that it was a nice story that started and was being continued by the others. I was more than interested to hear what ending the emaciated person who remained silent so far was going to give.
As the thin guy started speaking, my owner called me and I had to go to him with utmost suspense chilling my nerves. He ordered me to get some old wine from the store room and it took me ten minutes to find it.
The moment I returned, the 3 guys were lying on the table and the fourth one seemed to have left. I went to them wondering why they were sleeping, to see that they weren’t breathing. I immediately panicked and went to inform the bar owner and he called the police.
When the police came and the doctor who came along with them examined their bodies, he confirmed that they were poisoned. We all were interrogated but none of them knew anything about what happened at that table. I remained silent too in the fear of police interrogation and the situations I may have to face later if I inform them of the story. I started thinking about what must have happened.
Any guesses? Your guess is as good as mine too. I believe the weak guy must be the injured militant who was sentenced death as I heard his first word as I missed the conversation. “I was on the taking side that day”. If he were the militant and if the story were to be true, he must have escaped his death sentence and avenged his vendetta on these three guys who were responsible for his suffering.”
All in all, I can say that it was a sheer coincidence when one of them said that day’s climate guaranteed one of the dangerous nights. The clouds seemed to have cleared up and I didn’t know if it was a perilous night for everyone but surely it had got the utmost peril for them.”
Saying this, my roomie ended the experience he had on his most eventful night a year ago as we weren’t feeling sleepy that night.
I might have felt the same way he felt and you all are feeling, that this narration was too good be true but after all, had it not been me being the murderer.
I recently joined this hostel and requested the warden to be this guy’s roomie because I suspected him to have heard something that night. He may have forgotten me, may be because I have changed quite a lot in my appearance, but I remember him rather vividly.
It was by mere coincidence and sheer chance that I met the three of them that day in the bar and could take my revenge. I murdered the three of them because the military officer didn’t try and save me even when he could have done. Though the doctor saved me, it was of no use as he had me caught by the police. The police inspector was the one who had me sentenced death though luckily I could escape it.
I was sentenced death the second time because of this idiotic waiter who gave the evidence to the police though he denies having done that. I have escaped previously to take revenge on the three who made me suffer. But this time because of this useless waiter, I couldn’t escape. Don’t you think I should avenge my death? As an experienced murderer, I have learnt not to leave any traces and I didn’t want to leave any this time too.
Would another coincidence help me take my revenge? I don’t need any, as humans need coincidences, not ghosts like me.

4 comments:

Sarang Date said...

Awesome ssvs... I liked it and enjoyed it...keep them flowing...

sushma srinivas said...

nice andi maridi garu

Shiva Sarath said...

@Sarang - Thanks :) Did you read the second post today..." A premonition of the Happening"??
@vadina: Thanks

Sarang Date said...

Yeah I did read that one too.. good one...although being a fan of suspense stories... I liked this one more... :)

Search This Blog